Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Adapt Mollusk!

Globalization of the world scares me, but it excites me too. I'm not just competing with smart people in America, but every smart person on Earth. Now I have to challenge myself to get ahead. Sure I coasted into college with a full ride scholarship. But I can't coast through life. The only way to succeed in this world is to give all your passion and curiosity to several subjects and continually develop yourself. I plan on using my free time (post-graduation) to learn about new web development styles, health management software, and gardening-- the exciting stuff.
I can't assume that I will be doing the same job my whole lifetime. Business software programmers may soon be the thing of the past. What I can assume is that people who are good at math and science will always be needed. It's all about adaptation. Natural selection ensures the survival of the fittest. And through adaptation and a willingness to change with serendipitous life (mutation), one can evolve to the next level. Perhaps I will get my doctorate in genetics or film makeup or hologram technology. Maybe I will be best known for my science fiction literature, or for being the savvy librarian. It's all about adaptation to what life throws your way.
My mom always told me to do my absolute best. Globalization pours concrete over that idea and says to build a house on it.

This is a response to The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman.  Read it. It is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment