Monday, January 25, 2010

Why I Began

My mother taught me to program when I was nine years old.  I still remember using my mom's homemade word processor and typing my first program in Turbo Pascal.  It was a simple calculator program: a user entered two numbers with an operator and the computer printed the answer.  It was a blissful, ecstatic, intoxicating, feeling of relief when I ran it and it worked.  With my mom looking over my shoulder, I had written a program with if/else structures, a loop, variables, and pure logic.  The logic is what drew me to computer science.  If you did this and this, the computer would always give you that.  I didn't go into computer science for the complicated games, the crazy graphics, or the cool programs.  I chose computer science as my field for the thrill that comes by using logic to solve a puzzle.  If more women were introduced to computer science with a bare bones editor, a simple puzzle, and a straightforward language more women would enter the field.

This is in response to DePalma, "Why Women Avoid Computer Science" 

No comments:

Post a Comment